To learn more:
- Lunar irradiance: See the The Astronomical Journal article co-authored by an ARCSTONE team member Tom Stone. Kieffer H. and T. Stone, “The Spectral Irradiance of the Moon,” The Astronomical Journal 129:2887-2901, 2005 June. http://oceancolor.gsfc.nasa.gov/SeaWiFS/On_Orbit/lcal/docs/kieffer_stone_irradiance_moon_aj.pdf
- Lunar Spectral Irradiance and Radiance: read the following journal article. Smith A., Lorentz S, Stone T., and R. Datla, “Lunar Spectral Irradiance and Radiance (LUSI): New Instrumentation to Characterize the Moon as a Space-Based Radiometric Standard” Journal of Research of the National Institute of Standards and Technology 07/2012;117:185, 2012.
- Calibration standards for spectral radiance and spectral irradiance: See NIST web-site page http://www.nist.gov/pml/div685/grp01/spectroradiometry.cfm
- Accuracy requirements: Ohring, “Satellite Instrument Calibration for Measuring Global Climate Change,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, pp. 13-3 – 1313.
- For importance and connectivity of ARCSTONE products to Earth Science missions, read the 2015 journal article written by CERES science team members. Daniels et al, “Using Lunar Observations to Validate In-flight Calibrations of Clouds and Earth Radiant Energy System Instruments,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 10.1109/TGRS.2015.2417314, 2015.
- H.H. Kieffer and T.C. Stone, “The spectral irradiance of the Moon,” The Astronomical Journal, v. 129,pp. 2887 - 2901, 2005.
- T.C. Stone, H.H. Kieffer and I.F. Grant, “Potential for calibration of geostationary meteorological satellite imagers using the Moon,” Proceedings of SPIE, v. 5882, doi: 10.1117/12.620097, 2005.
- T.C. Stone and H.H. Kieffer, “Use of the Moon to support on-orbit sensor calibration for climate change measurements,” SPIE Proc., San Diego, 2006.
- C.E. Cramer, K.R. Lykke, J.T. Woodward, and A.W. Smith, “Precise Measurement of Lunar Spectral Irradiance at Visible Wavelengths,” J. of Research of the NIST, v. 118, 2013.
- J.L. Daniels, G.L. Smith, K.J. Priestley and S. Thomas, “Using Lunar Observations to Validate In-flight Calibrations of Clouds and the Earth’s Radiant Energy System Instruments,” submitted to TGRS, 2014.
- Global Space-based Inter-Calibration System (GSICS), “Lunar Calibration,” GSICS News Letter, v. 7. n. 3, 2013.
- J.-Q. Sun, X. Xiong, W.L. Barnes, and B. Guenther, “MODIS Reflective Solar Bands On-Orbit Lunar Calibration,” IEEE TGRS, v. 45, n. 7, 2007.
- R.E. Eplee, Jr., G. Meister, F.S. Patt, R.A. Barnes, S.W. Bailey, B.A. Franz, and C.R. McClain, “On-orbit calibration of SeaWiFS,” Applied Optics, v. 51, n. 36, 2012.
The links given above utilize features which may require additional software beyond
a traditional web browser.
You may encounter errors if you do not have the correct plug-in.
Please click here for external links
to download required plug-ins.